Sunday, November 1, 2009

I accept culture.

This image was taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture



t is hard for many people like me to be so accepting of culture in the South. There are only an educated few who accept many different cultures in the US. What people fail to recognize that this nation was founded on culture. Not only the Declaration of Independence but the Constitution ensures the happiness of everyone who wants to pursue their own cultural identity. My family came to this country as Irish Immigrants. I can not tell you the times that I have tried to explain to people that the US should be accepting of other cultures, epically in the South. For example New Orleans was one of the most cultural centers of the United States in the 1700s. New Orleans was a mixture of African American, Native American, and French backgrounds. In the 18Th Century we find most of Asian America in California. There are other cultures including Hispanic, Indian(people from India) and Native American cultures that we tend to forget.


I, a white person of middle class, neglected to see culture for what it relay was until I took religion classes at the University of Southern Mississippi. I then started working with many cultures including Native Americans. I hope that when I become a teacher that I will teach my students to be accepting of other cultures. I am legally blind and I do not know how much time I will be able to retain my sight but I vow to always help people and educate people of all the other cultures in this world. I myself have attended Hispanic Masses in the Catholic Church and I have attended an Muslim Masque. I know you do not find that much in the South but I wanted to think outside of the box. I just hope that one day that we all think outside of the box.


Hope all is well.


Tyler

The following is a cool video about Islam. Most people think that its a violent religion when in fact it is a real peaceful religion. Fundamentalist give regular Muslims a bad rep. Modern Day Muslims are very peaceful and I posted this video for people to learn about the religion.





No comments:

Post a Comment